Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

snow day - summer night


Yes, it's a snow day. The second one this week, as a matter of fact. Personally, I'm tired of it. Two days in a row, stuck in a house, coughing up lungs, and warming my toes and fingers are not my ideal day off.


Isn't it strange that so often, when winter sets upon us, that we're usually ready for summer again? And when summer's here, there's a desire for winter, or at least something a little cooler?


Maybe it's not that way for you. Maybe others are simply content in ice storms and chronic colds. But I, unfortunately, am not like that and cannot get out of winter without a complaint or two.


So, to cheer myself and any other winter-drudgery-sick individual, how 'bout a dose of late summer evening?



night.

fireflies.

shorts.

cicadas.

sweat.

lemonade.

maybe tea.

running.

cut grass.

giggles from kids.

growing dark.

lights in the trees.

lawn chairs.

burgers.

ice cream.

talking 'til ten.

under stars.

nerf guns.

more cicadas.

grimy hands.

leaving.

then staying a little longer.

too dark to see.

but still talking.

still laughing.

looking for the dippers.

smelling the grill.

smiling.

time to go inside.

maybe.
Photo taken by my debate partner and friend Melissa. She's quite talented, don't you think? Tennis courts and a sky. That's all she needs.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This a fantastic list because it takes me to that "happy place". simply lovely. (sigh)

Mimi :) said...

Ah, the memories. :)

Relyn Lawson said...

Excellent, excellent list. And, yes - Melissa is very talented. I love this image.

Elyse said...

Thanks folks! And I passed on your compliments to Melissa as well. :)